Happy Earth Day!

So many things are green in Texas. It is Texas wildflower month. That means there are shades of blues and reds and purples and whites and oranges and yellows.  They plant the wildflowers along the highways.  Things aren't yet as green in New England. TF even has roses blooming at her house.  It was a day filled with happy things.

Today we climbed Enchanted Rock near Fredericksburg, TX. The rock is pink granite. I live in the Granite State. I'm not going to say there isn't any pink granite in New Hampshire (I don’t know), but it is Concord Gray Granite that the state is famous for. There is yellow granite on the property at home. There is a wide variety of granite that I wasn't aware of until today.

At the bottom of Enchanted Rock, it was hot. The temperature was in the mid 80's and this girl from the north had a hard time climbing because of the heat. The higher we climbed the stronger the wind blew. There were a few times that I thought the wind might push me over. It was also beautiful. The higher we climbed the more the wind would blow and the more thankful I was for it. That air movement helped me not overheat. By the time we headed down the strong wind had become my friend as I played airplane walking along the granite.

The top had views for miles and miles. This area is part of what is considered Texas Hill Country with lots of rolling hills. There were also areas where other, smaller rock formations would jut above the hills. In the far distance there was a mesa. We live in a diverse country with so much change in climate, geology, and wildlife from one section to another.  

Time with one of my best friends outdoors in nature was the perfect way to spend Earth Day. I hope your day was a happy one too.

Here are some pictures from our adventure.

Before the hike.

Evening-Star Rain-Lily (Cooperia)

TF

Pretty sure this is a vulture.


Trying to selfie.

A fellow hiker saw us struggling with
the selfie and took our picture.

TF having a moment.

Yay! 

Black squirrel

Close up of black squirrel.



Black-eyed Susan, I think.

Wine Cup.

Texas Bull nettle.

3D model of the Enchanted Rock area.


After the hike.

Bird nest at the main office.

Indian blanket and Bluebells.

A bridge.



Currently reading: Pocketful of Miracles: Prayer, Meditations, and Affirmations to Nurture Your Spirit Every Day of the Year, Joan Borysenko.

Currently listening to: Seven Surrenders, by Ada Palmer

Thank you for being part of my happy things. Stay safe.

Comments

  1. I love the photos of you and TF, you both look so happy!

    I remember the first time I ever saw a black squirrel. I was on a business trip to Michigan State University, and my colleagues thought I was a bit weird for noticing and getting excited about it. Even though they had never seen one either, it wasn't a big deal to them. I can't help it, I just get a kick out of seeing new things in nature!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Deer, Deer...

Placebo Effect? -kinda long

Happy Hanukkah